Even though I did this a few years ago, I figured I would post it to give my tips to others so their projects will turn out better.
1. I bought a cheap unfinished table at a craft store
2. I bought moulding to create my framed top to set the mosiac in
3. I bought a handsaw to cut the moulding to size, and sanded down to fit the table, before gluing the pieces on.
4. I used tile nippers to cut the tiles into my shapes.
5. I used a little bucket of white grout, spread it into the sunken table top
6. Stuck the tile bits on top in my star design
7. Spread grout between the tile pieces
What I would do better next time:
-Spend more time and effort finishing the table itself nicely (sand more, stain or paint the wood a different color, actually miter the moulding to frame the tabletop more professionally)
-Use something better than tile nippers to cut the tile- nippers made it VERY difficult to get an accurate cut, as a result, my star pieces didn’t look as nice as I hoped they would
-Not worry so much about the background pieces (white tiles) because the grout just fills in all the spaces so you wouldn’t notice the imperfections there
But it is really easy and I’m glad I did it. I’ll probably use this table as a plant stand when I actually have a porch, but until then, It’s housing an alarm clock because I need it for a bedside table.